Last blog articles
Search on blog
How to chose a blind
Blinds are curtains that fold and unfold vertically. They are a modern, convenient option for dressing windows and decorating your home.
Storplanet offers you a wide range of blinds, in standard sizes and with all the essential accessories so you can install them yourself.
Blinds are classified into these categories:
- Roller blinds
- Day & Night roller blinds
- Roman shades (textile)
- Venetian blinds
These blinds are made of fabric wound on an aluminium tube. This tube and its bracket are fixed to a surface (wall or ceiling) and the fabric is raised and lowered by means of a chain mechanism.
Depending on the type of fabric and the light they let through, the roller blinds could be of various types
- Translucent roller blinds: The fabric filters the light passing through in a non-transparent way, thus providing total privacy.
- Screen roller blind: The technical screen fabric filters incoming light and lets you see out. During the day you can see the outside unseen from the outside. At night, you can see the interior from the outside if it is illuminated.
- Opaque roller blind: the opaque or black out fabric blocks incoming light and is non-tranparent.
Day & Night roller blinds
These double fabric blinds are rolled up on an aluminium tube and concealed behind a metal valance strip, hiding it from view. Since the roller is tucked away, these blinds offer a more elegant look.
The fabric of the Day and Night blinds is made of alternating transparent and translucent bands.
By separating or overlapping the stripes, light is easily controlled and a highly attractive finish achieved.
In Roman shades, the fabric is usually woven from natural fibres such as cotton, linen, etc. or synthetic ones such as polyester. They are attached to an aluminium runner with velcro. Brackets are used to fix the runner to a surface.
Cords are used to raise or lower the blinds. A shade’s fabric can be removed from the runner and cords, and can be cleaned normally. (See washing instructions on the label sewn to the fabric).
Roman shades are available in 2 styles:
- Roman shades with rods, which gather the cloth into straight, regular folds.
- Roman shades without rods that create irregular, vaporous folds.
Venetian blinds are a set of strips joined together by threads or cords and attached to a runner.
Venetian blinds can be made of different materials, as well as different strip widths.
These stripes regulate incoming light, providing privacy based on their position.
At Storplanet, we offer a wide range of Venetian blinds made of different materials:
- Vinyl venetians: tough and practical, since they can get wet.
- Aluminium venetians: with a more sophisticated finish.
- Wooden venetians: elegant, warm and very decorative.